My husband travels quite a bit. Last year he tried some meatloaf that had chorizo in it, and he liked it enough to tell me how amazing it was. Well, if he likes something that much, I feel a need to try and recreate it at home if I can. I started playing in the kitchen and have made this recipe several times. It is pretty forgiving since it’s just meatloaf, so don’t worry a whole lot about exact measurements.
Keto Meatloaf with Chorizo and Bacon
This makes around 12 4-ounce servings. In reality, it's hard to only eat 4 ounces of this, so I calculated 8 servings.
- 2 lb ground beef
- 9 oz chorizo beef or pork
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated (from the green can)
- 1 tbsp heavy cream or almond milk
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp Pizza sauce May sub ketchup or BBQ sauce here
- 1 egg
- 1 pound Bacon raw (enough to cover meatloaf)
- 2 tbsp reduced sugar ketchup I like Heinz Reduced Sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar-free BBQ sauce I like G. Hughes Sugar Free Hickory
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp Molasses
- 1 tbsp sugar substitute of choice equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar
Saute onion and garlic until tender. Combine with all other meatloaf ingredients except bacon. Mix well, shape into flat loaf and place into foil lined pan. I use a baking pan, not a loaf pan so I can make a thinner loaf. Cover with strips of bacon. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes to 1 hour (should test 160 degrees in center). Time will vary depending on how thick you shaped the loaf. Before glazing, carefully spoon off the fat that has rendered and discard.
Combine all glaze ingredients well and brush over meatloaf. Bake 10 minutes or until glaze is slightly thickened.
Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Macros calculated from MyFitnessPal based on 8 6 ounce servings: 374 calories, 26 g fat, 8 grams total carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber, 6 net carbs, 33 g protein
I would love to try making this in the smoker at some point when we have time. Yum!